Thursday 24 July 2008

Russell Tearoom, Porthmadoc

Cake !I've already given the West Highland Railway based in Porthmadoc a glowing review but what about the catering facilities ?

Well, the first good sign when I arrived was a flock of fluorescent jacketed workmen around a table outside tucking into some grub.

After my train ride it was nearly lunchtime so I ordered a jacket potato with chili and couldn't resist some Victoria sponge to follow with tea. It arrived and looked very nice. The potato was invisible under a mound if chilli with a colourful salad on the side. I suspect a microwave had played a bit of a part in the cooking but the inside of the spud was light and fluffy. The topping a nice temperature and taste.

The cake was good. The cream wasn't really necessary as it was good enough on it's own but there was a strawberry in it so I ate it anyway.

All in all, lovely. Reasonably priced, well presented and tasty grub. No wonder the workmen, always the best judge of cafe quality, flock there.

Good grief they have thier own web site !

No comments: