Tuesday 6 January 2015

The Smartie Challenge

Back in 2009, I decided to try and visit every location on the National Railway Museum's poster calendar. That year I failed miserably with only one town ticked off in 12 months.

Well, although my travelling track record has improved recent, what with Australia and the Isle of Man again, I still need more inspiration. So, I'm going to try again.

Midlands Map with Smarties

To make things easier, I'm using a more restricted calendar - The Midlands Poster Art Calendar isn't going to send me to Scotland or Ireland. This way everything can be done in a day trip and for sensible money even on our stupidly over-priced (Thank you John Major) rail system.

The list of targets is:
  • Lincoln
  • Ashby-de-la-Zouch
  • Stratford-upon-Avon
  • Malvern
  • Shrewsbury
  • Derbyshire
  • Droitwich
  • Rugby
  • The Wye Valley
  • Nottingham
  • Stafford
  • Warwick
A bit mixed - Ashby and the Wye Valley don't have railway stations so I'll have to get as close as I can by train and then bus the rest.

Warwick and Stratford are a whole lot easier since both are within a few miles of Leamington Spa.

Each visit will generate a blog post and also a nice day out for me - which is the point of the whole thing. And if I don't get a move on, I bet a weeks work and a RailRover could see pretty much all of them ticked off.

1 comment:

Northlandz New Jersey said...

The Travelling Philbury" is a captivating adventure novel that takes readers on an exhilarating journey across continents and cultures. Written by acclaimed author, it follows the story of a young explorer named Jack Philbury as he embarks on a thrilling quest to uncover ancient treasures and solve mysterious puzzles.

Set in the early 20th century, the novel captures the spirit of exploration and the allure of far-flung destinations. From bustling bazaars in Marrakech to remote temples hidden deep in the jungles of South America, Jack's adventures transport readers to vivid and enchanting landscapes.
😂